I mentioned back in one of my first blog posts Naveen and I's trip to Luzira prison to interview treason suspects, and I thought an update on their case was necessary as Naveen and I have become extremely attached to the men (and 2 women!). As a refresher, these 53 men were rounded up in late February of this year by CMI (the intellegence agency in UG), tortured, and then taken to the police station a month later. All were charged in court on March 23 and they have been on remand at Luzira since then. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that this type of case is all too unusual. Naveen and I went back to interview a large portion of the men a second time to find out more details about their 'kidnapping' as quite a few were all arrested at the same bus park in Kampala. While we were at Luzira, we found another 8 who had been there since last summer! with basically the same story! Today Naveen and I visited court for the third time with the treason suspects. The cour...
Comments
Post a Comment